About Cian Kerrisk
MHSc(Hons), PGDipPH, GradDipPsychSoc, BA(Ed), MNZPsS, MNZAC.
Hello, my name is Cian Kerrisk. I am an experienced Therapist and Clinical Counsellor. Welcome to my website where you can learn more about the services that I offer in Auckland, as well as information about my approach to psychotherapy and counselling.
I have 20 years experience working in the Counselling and Social Services field. In addition to maintaining a Private Practice in a spacious therapy studio in Titirangi, Auckland I currently work as a School Counsellor in a private school. Previously I have worked as a psychological therapist with Children, Adolescents, and Families in a specialist clinical team at CYFS/Oranga Tamariki, as a Tertiary Senior Lecturer (Mental Health), as a Clinician for an Addiction and Mental Health service, for Community Service Helplines (Family Violence, Victims of Crime, Christchurch Earthquake Support), and as a Manager for Youthline.
As a therapist I hold a strong respect for spiritual, cultural, and social factors that impact on a person's lived experience. My aim is to work in an empathic and collaborative way and provide a safe, holding and supportive environment where you can work through difficulties and overcome what keeps you from living life to your full potential. I believe that the Therapeutic Relationship is the most important factor in psychological healing. Through this, you can discover new ways of relating, thinking and behaving that can then be integrated into life to bring about positive changes.
- Master of Health Science (1st Class Honours, AUT University)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Public Health (Including Alcohol & Drug Studies & Mental Health papers)
- Graduate Diploma in Psychosocial (Psychotherapy) Studies
- Bachelor of Arts - University of Auckland (Psychology, Education, Anthropology, Philosophy,Counselling papers)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (UK)
- GraduateCertificate in Higher Education (Adult Teaching)
- Certificate in Supervisory Management
- Certificate in Supervision for Health & Social Services
Registrations & Professional Memberships
- Full Member - New Zealand Association of Counsellors (NZAC)
- Full Member - New Zealand Psychological Society (NZPsS)
- Practitioner Member - New Zealand Institute of Counselling Psychology (ICounsPsy)
- Member - International Association for Child & Adolescent Psychiatry & Allied Professions (IACAPAP)
- General Member - International Association of Applied Neuroscience (Psychotherapy)
Research and Publications
Kerrisk, C. (2010). Inner journeys: Psychodynamic perspectives on immigration, identity and cross-cultural adaptation. Masters Dissertation, AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand.
Kerrisk, C. (2011), An Introduction to Jungian Analytical Psychology
Kerrisk, C. (2011), Spiritual Emergence, Transpersonal Crisis or Mental Illness?
Kerrisk, C. (2010). A Critical Review of Treatment Approaches for Alcohol and Drug Problems
Kerrisk, C. (2007). Psychosynthesis: An Overview of its Influences and Development